If you know you are having a planned caesarean birth, hiring a properly trained doula to support you on your journey will ensure that you have a positive experience.
What’s it all about?
A doula is flexible in the kind of care she provides to each family. Every pregnancy and birth is unique and so although I have created a set package for supporting planned caesarean birth, this can be adjusted to better suit your needs. Just get in touch to discuss further.
With my training in midwifery, I have a vast wealth of knowledge. I will share this with you to help empower you to make the right decisions for yourself. If I don’t have the answer to your questions, then I know where to go to find them.
I once joked with a friend that, to be fully prepared for childbirth, you’d need to complete a midwifery degree. The more I think about it, it is kind of true. However, 9 months is a very short time to cram all that knowledge in to. And how do you discard the parts that aren’t relevant to you?
That’s where I come in.
I use my knowledge and experience to help guide you through your journey. I will highlight the relevant information, as well as making you aware of the choices you have in childbirth. I will be your guide, your support, your advocate, someone to lean on, someone to cry with, someone to laugh with and someone to quietly whisper that you can do it when everything seems to be too overwhelming.
It is important that you feel comfortable with your doula so I offer a free initial meeting either at your home or a nearby cafe if preferred. This gives us the chance to discuss what type of support you are looking for and how I can help you.
- 1-2 meet ups to discuss your birth plans and help create a birth wish list if desired (1-2 hours each time)
- Regular communication by text or email to answer any burning questions you have along the way
- Access to my pregnancy and birth book library
- My attendance at 1-2 of your antenatal appointments (if you feel you need the extra support)
- I will be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from 2 weeks before your birth is scheduled
- I will aim to be there at the hospital, waiting for you when you arrive, and will stay until you no longer feel you need me
- I will support both you and your partner throughout the time you wait to go to theatre, ensuring that you both rest when you can and keeping you both well nourished and hydrated
- I will then stay with you for as long as you feel you need the extra support, once you return from theatre
- Please be aware that most hospitals only allow one birth partner in theatre with you. I am happy to support you in this way, if that would be your preference
After the birth
- 1-2 home visits where I can provide support with feeding, show you how to bath your baby and much more. This will also provide time to talk about the birth and go over any details you wish to discuss further. (1-2 hours each time)
- I will be available regularly by text and email to provide support and advice for up to 4 weeks after the birth
This service is £1,200
A deposit of £400 to be made once the booking is confirmed. Payment of remainder of £800 to be made by 37 weeks of pregnancy.
I truly believe that every person should have a doula throughout pregnancy and birth. If you are on a low income but would still like to have the support of a doula please get in touch. We can discuss more flexible payment options.
“When it turned out that an elective caesarean was the best option for our breech baby, Carolyn was immensely supportive. Her knowledge and experience made a huge difference to how we felt.”
Ashley & Steffan